Do you need to rent a house or room in the UK? Well, knowing the proper way to do it can save you significant time and money. Many times, this procedure is not usually easy, we do not know the city, the documentation we need to provide, such as the rental process.
Buying a property in the UK is an excellent way of investment for landlords who choose to live abroad because it’s a source of steady income stream to fund their lifestyle in another country.
In this blog, we have developed a complete guide in which we tell you the steps to successfully find, manage and rent a property in the United Kingdom.
Things to be kept in Mind while Looking for property
Here are some tips that will be useful when looking for a property:
- Focus on recent announcements, if they last many days they may be properties in poor condition or scams.
- Read the description of the ads thoroughly. Thus, if there is something that does not interest you, you will not waste time going to see that property.
- Do not trust 100% of the photos, it is better to always go visit it in person.
- Take into account if the apartment is furnished.
- Be suspicious of those owners or agencies that you can only contact by email. They are usually scams.
- Find out about the area. Nowadays with Google Maps, you can see in detail the street or the neighborhood where you are going to live. Check if there are shops, supermarkets and nearby means of transport that can make your life more comfortable and easier.
- Plan your visits. You will surely visit many properties before deciding, and if you are in a big city, moving from one place to another can be a lot of time and money. So it is best that you do the visits by zones.
- Consider transportation. Paying less to live further away from your work or your places of interest may not pay off if you use public transport a lot. In addition to adding the time of travel. Especially in London.
- Don’t go cheap to save just a few pounds. It is the place where you will live and where you will be longer and paying a little more can mean the difference between having a bad or a good experience in the UK. So pay if you are able to afford it.
In this way, you can find the best property for investment such as HMO. But the question arises How to manage the property especially if the landlord lives abroad or is far away from the property. Long-distance landlords may face various challenges while managing their property such as communication can be difficult, tenants hiring, screening, and tenant management. Landlords have to assign a duty to carry out viewings
For this reason, most international landlords choose to use a property management agency, which can deal with every aspect of managing their property even when you are abroad.
Tips to manage your property If You are Abroad
CONSIDER USING SKYPE FOR TENANT SCREENING
Sometimes landlords can not meet face to face with tenants before approving their rental applications. Because of living abroad, they find it one of the biggest challenges. It may not be a problem if you gave this responsibility to a property management company in London.
On behalf of you, your property manager determines whether a tenant is suitable for your property. However, it’s difficult to rely on. Then, landlords can use skype or any other video messaging platform to ‘meet’ their tenants face to face before approving their application.
LOOK FOR LONG TERM TENANTS
It’s a fact that several shorter tenancies are far more significant in comparison to fewer, longer tenancies. Because landlords with long-term tenants can easily develop stronger relationships with their tenants. Even longer tenancies are also beneficial for tenants because it offers them more security and a guaranteed place to rent for the duration of the agreement.
ASK SOMEONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE PROPERTY
Landlords may ask a family member, friend, or neighbor to keep an eye on their property if he/she is abroad. In this way, they will be able to know if any misbehavior occurs at the property.
Landowners can also use property management company services and then the property manager will be responsible for dealing with tenants and carrying out regular property inspections and handling issues.
USE A PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY
The best way to reduce potential headaches and live hassle-free is by hiring a property manager for managing a property. Because generally, landlords who tried to manage their property solo from abroad find the time spent is not worth it.
A property management company like HouseManage can take care of everything from collecting rent to handling legal matters and issues. For more information about our property management service in London for landlords, you can call us tA property management company like HouseManage can take care of everything from collecting rent to handling legal matters and issues. For more information about our property management service in London for landlords, you can call us today or fill out a contact us and we’ll get back to you.